In southeastern Michigan, we can get hit with a hard frost as early as October. With freezing temperatures on the way, it’s important to consider how that weather can affect your irrigation system. At Spartan Irrigation, we’ve been providing expert lawn and irrigation services since 1976. Here are some of the main reasons why you should consider giving us a call to winterize your irrigation system.
1. Winter isn’t kind to irrigation systems.
Physics 101 tells us that when water freezes, it expands. If water is present in the fittings, sprinklers, valves, pumps, pipes, and other parts of the irrigation system, these parts can burst or break when it freezes. The only way to ensure the system will be ready to work in the spring is to drain the system of all water before the first freeze.
2. You can prevent spending money on expensive repairs.
If your irrigation system freezes and breaks or destroys components of the system, you’ll have to pay for irrigation system repair. We think that maintenance is well worth it compared to repairing or replacing a broken system.
3. You can save time (and cold hands!) rather than doing it yourself.
Our team will come to you, ready with the tools and supplies needed to winterize your irrigation system. We’ll perform the following tasks:
- Turn off water to the sprinkler system, and drain vacuum breaker and interior pipes.
- Remove and/or drain pump and suction lines, where applicable.
- Check irrigation system valves and filter.
- Deactivate the controller and valves.
- Remove battery from solid-state controller.
- Clear all lines of water with compressed air and, if applicable, open all manual drains and faucets.
We recommend that you schedule lawn irrigation system winterization between late September and early November, before the ground is too frozen. It’s not too late to give Spartan Irrigation a call to schedule service in Lansing, Jackson, Battle Creek, or the surrounding areas. Contact us today at (800) 331-1746 to get started.